A mother and her three children perished in a house fire which had initially been caused by a defective baseboard heater and within minutes had begun to consume the entire house.
Investigation led to the discovery that the rapidly spreading fire was due in large part to the lack of flame retardants in the living room sofa. The sofa was the first item ignited and evidence revealed that had the polyurethane foam stuffing been treated with flame retardants at a nominal cost the tragic loss of life could have been prevented. The manufacturer of the heater settled for confidential amount. Mark J. LeWinter served as lead counsel. Read More