SHAPING THE LAW
Raynes Lawn Hehmeyer attorneys are committed to protecting the rights of families who have undergone tragedy. This commitment extends beyond the courtroom and into the legislature, where Raynes Lawn Hehmeyer lawyers often play major roles in shaping the law.
- On eight occasions, the Governor of Pennsylvania has presented a Raynes Lawn Hehmeyer attorney with the pen used to sign a law that one of our lawyers helped to draft.
- Two Raynes Lawn Hehmeyer attorneys redrafted the Pennsylvania Statute of Limitations for claims by minors, thereby reforming the law to protect the rights of children.
- A firm attorney rewrote Pennsylvania’s Wrongful Death Statute to preserve the rights of the families of fatal accident victims.
- A firm lawyer helped draft legislation that funds legal services for the poor, the disabled, and the elderly.
- Firm attorneys were instrumental in rewriting Pennsylvania’s law on medical malpractice in 1976, in 1996, and again in 2002.
- A firm attorney revised the law concerning the liability of volunteer doctors, thereby protecting physicians who donate their time while still preserving patient rights.
- A firm attorney participated in the task force that proposed the legislation under which governmental agencies can be held liable for wrongful conduct.
- Raynes Lawn Hehmeyer lawyers are routinely asked to testify before committees of the Pennsylvania legislature as to the direction that the law should take.
JUDICIAL SELECTION AND ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE
- Raynes Lawn Hehmeyer attorneys have served as members of judicial selection committees, most notably serving multiple times on the Philadelphia Trial Court Nominating Commission, and chairing the Pennsylvania Appellate Court Nominating Commission.
- A member of the Firm regularly serves as a faculty member of the Pennsylvania College of the Judiciary.
- A Firm attorney has twice served as a member of the Selection Committee for Magistrate Judges for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Members of the Firm have served on committees appointed by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, including the Lawyers Disciplinary Board, the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board, the Interest on Lawyers Trust Accounts Board, the Civil Procedural Rules Committee, and the ad hoc committee that drafted the Pennsylvania Rules of Evidence.
LEGAL SCHOLARSHIP AND EDUCATION
- Articles authored by Raynes Lawn Hehmeyer attorneys have appeared in the Pennsylvania Bar Quarterly, the Philadelphia Lawyer, the Barrister, the Pennsylvania Law Weekly, the Legal Intelligencer, and ATLA’s Trial.
- Firm attorney Martin K. Brigham is the editor and lead author for Injured on the Job, a guide to the legal issues confronted by injured workers that is published by the Philadelphia Area Project on Occupational Safety and Health.
- Raynes Lawn Hehmeyer lawyers have lectured at the State Conference of Trial Judges, the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, the Philadelphia Bar Association, the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association and area law schools.