Motorcycle Accident Joint and Ligament Injuries In Pennsylvania
Some of the most common types of injuries in Pennsylvania motorcycle accidents are joint and ligament injuries, especially to the lower extremities. In a motorcycle crash, you might suffer injuries to your hips, pelvis, legs, knees, and ankles. While these types of injuries might not be fatal, damage to your ligaments and joints can be quite painful and cause ongoing problems. Motorcycle crash joint and ligament injuries can also result in expensive medical care, long periods of recovery, and severe pain. If someone else caused your motorcycle crash, you can pursue compensation for your losses through a motorcycle crash lawsuit. The Motorcycle Accident attorneys at Raynes & Lawn can review your case and explain your rights.
Different Kinds Of Ligament And Joint Injuries From Motorcycle Accidents
Some of the common types of ligament and joint injuries motorcyclists suffer in collisions are discussed below.
- Knee Dislocation—If your knee is dislocated, it means that it has been knocked out of its alignment. A dislocated knee can also involve injuries to the surrounding bones, cartilage, ligaments, and muscles and make it impossible or difficult for you to walk.
- Ligament Tears—Your knee includes four primary ligaments, including the MCL, ACL, PCL, and LCL. The ACL and the PCL are the ligaments that are most frequently torn in motorcycle crashes. Your ACL connects your shinbone to your thigh bone, and the PCL keeps your shin in its position beneath your femur to prevent it from moving too far backward.
- Tendon Rupture—Your tendons are tough bands of tissue that attach your muscles to your bones. If a tendon ruptures in a motorcycle crash, you might experience severe pain with even slight movements. Depending on the tendon that is ruptured, you might not be able to straighten your feet, legs, or arms.
- Meniscus Tear—Your shin and thigh bones have cartilage between them to cushion the joint called the meniscus. If your meniscus is torn, you might experience swelling, severe pain, and stiffness in your knee. A torn meniscus prevents you from straightening your knee or moving it freely. Other joints and ligaments, including your hip socket, shoulder socket, ankle joint, wrist joint, your elbow, and ligaments that help them to move can also be injured in motorcycle collisions.
Factors That Cause Ligament And Joint Injuries
According to a study reported in the Journal Of Trauma, researchers found the following factors can increase the risk of joint and ligament injuries in a motorcycle crash:
- Broadside collisions
- Sideswipe accidents
- Multi-vehicle crashes
The Long-Term Cost Of Ligament And Joint Injuries
According to a study conducted by the Association For The Advancement Of Automotive Medicine, the main costs involved with ligament and joint injuries are caused by the lengthy period of recovery before people can return to their pre-injury activities, including work, performing household chores, driving, and engaging in recreational activities. For severe injuries, the treatment and rehabilitation costs can range into tens of thousands of dollars.
How Can A Motorcycle Injury Attorney Help Me?
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, consulting an experienced Philadelphia motorcycle accident attorney can help you understand your rights. Your lawyer can investigate your claim and help to determine liability. A thorough investigation can help your lawyer negotiate a fair settlement for you from the insurance company. If the insurer disputes the liability of its insured, your attorney can prepare your case for trial and fight for you to recover full compensation for your losses.
All cases are different, but the types of help your lawyer might offer include the following:
- Determining liability
- Identifying all potential sources of recovery
- Investigating your accident
- Working with experts
- Gathering critical evidence
- Calculating your economic and non-economic damages
- Drafting a demand letter
- Handling all of the communications with the insurance company for you
- Negotiating with the insurance company to secure a fair settlement offer
- Advising you of any offers
- Preparing your case for trial if a settlement can’t be reached
- Litigating your case through trial and verdict
- Helping you understand every step of the process
Reach Out To A Motorcycle Accident Injury Attorney
If you have been injured in a motorcycle crash that you believe was the fault of the other motorist, you should contact the attorneys at Raynes & Lawn for a free case consultation. We have represented negligence victims in Philadelphia for more than 50 years and can provide you with a free case evaluation. Call us today at 1-800-535-1797.
For the general public: This Blog/Website is made available by the law firm publisher, Raynes & Lawn, for educational purposes. It provides general information and a general understanding of the law but does not provide specific legal advice. By using this site, commenting on posts, or sending inquiries through the site or contact email, you confirm that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Website publisher. The Blog/Website should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.
For attorneys: This Blog/Website is informational in nature and is not a substitute for legal research or a consultation on specific matters pertaining to your clients. Due to the dynamic nature of legal doctrines, what might be accurate one day may be inaccurate the next. As such, the contents of this blog must not be relied upon as a basis for arguments to a court or for your advice to clients without, again, further research or a consultation with our professionals.