How Do I Choose A Good Personal Injury Lawyer?
It can be a challenge to find the right personal injury attorney. Many people are overwhelmed by the process. You need to find the right lawyer for your situation. Some attorneys limit their practice to medical malpractice, while other law firms have the experience to help in all matters resulting in personal injury.
In other words, attorneys come in all shapes and sizes. When you need to find a lawyer for a personal injury case, you want to choose lawyers who will be your best advocates. The attorneys at Raynes & Lawn have the experience and proven results to help you with your potential claim.
What to Look for in a Lawyer
Determining whether a lawyer is good or not can be difficult, especially if this is your first time engaging an attorney. However, there are a few guidelines that you can follow. You want to find an attorney who practices in your state or the state where you were injured. It is also essential to find a lawyer who handles your type of case. For example, if you sustained an injury in a car accident, you want to choose a lawyer who handles motor vehicle accident cases. You can typically find this information on the attorney’s website.
Once you have narrowed down your list, you want to see if the attorney has any disciplinary actions filed against him or her. You can easily find this information online. At this stage, you need to conduct your research, including looking at the lawyer’s website and past results. This information can help you decide if you want to consult with a particular attorney.
You can schedule an initial consultation with your potential attorney. Many lawyers offer free consultations. After your meeting with the attorney, you should have an idea of whether they will be a good fit for your case. With many initial consultations, you can get to know the lawyer and have some of your questions answered.
What Questions Should You Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer?
When you meet for an initial consultation, you might have a few questions. You should compile a list of questions to ask during your meeting. Some of these questions should include:
- How many years have you been in practice?
- How many personal injury claims have you handled? How many were successful?
- Do you have experience handling cases like mine?
- Do I have other options besides filing a lawsuit?
- How much do you charge?
- What anticipated expenses will I have to pay?
- What do you think my case is worth?
- What resources will you use if we have to go to trial?
- How long will it take to resolve my case?
- Will you personally handle my case?
With these questions, you will have a good idea of what to expect when you hire this particular attorney.
Do I Really Need a Personal Injury Attorney?
You might not think that a personal injury attorney can help you. However, a personal injury lawyer can assist you in seeking compensation after an accident. Many people will have medical bills piling up, as they deal with lost wages from injuries. You need compensation to pay for medical treatment, pain, and suffering, and help make up for lost income.
Personal injury lawyers specialize in tort law, including civil litigation for injuries as a result of negligence. The personal injury attorney wants to help the injured party to receive compensation and discourage other parties from committing similar offenses.
There are many examples of personal injury practice areas, including defective products, medical malpractice, workplace injuries, and motor vehicle accidents. A personal injury lawyer performs many responsibilities for their clients. Some of them include:
- Explaining your rights: An attorney will explain how your legal rights are affected as a result of the accident.
- Provide advice: Your attorney will help to explain the legal process, interpret medical jargon, and navigate through the maze of paperwork in these cases. They will provide you with an objective opinion so that you can make the best decision in your case.
- Represents you in court: In many cases, the personal injury claim does not head to court. Many cases are settled before the lawsuit is filed. However, in some cases, the victim needs to go to a full civil trial.
As you can tell, litigation is a complex process, and you need to adhere to the proper procedures and rules of evidence. A novice attorney should not handle these cases.
What Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Do for You?
You want to choose the right attorney for your case. A personal injury lawyer will listen to your concerns, conduct a thorough investigation, gather evidence, explain the options for your case, and help you choose the best course of action for your claim.
Some other responsibilities include:
- Personally handle your case, listen to your needs, and respond to your questions
- Ensure that court documents, insurance claims, and other paperwork are filed on time
- Document and calculate all your losses
- Gather crucial pieces of evidence
- Interview witnesses who saw the incident that caused the injury
- Represent your interest during the negotiation process
- Field prospective offers and act in your best interest
- Advocate for you to get the best possible result
An experienced personal injury attorney can help take the burden off you during the complicated process.
Is There a Statute Of Limitations to File a Personal Injury Claim?
All states have specific deadlines to file a lawsuit. This deadline is called the statute of limitations, and it is a stringent deadline. If you don’t file a personal injury lawsuit within the time frame, your lawsuit will be dismissed. The deadlines in personal injury cases depends on the state. You will want to consult with an attorney to determine your state’s statute of limitations.
Consult a Personal Injury Lawyer for More Info
When you need to find a personal injury lawyer, it is an important decision. You want to make an informed choice. For those in need of a lawyer, you should weigh all your options carefully to ensure a beneficial and satisfying relationship with your personal injury attorney. Raynes & Lawn will use their extensive knowledge and experience to advocate for you and get the best possible result.
If you are ready to schedule a consultation with the legal team at Raynes & Lawn, make sure to fill out our contact form or give us a call at 800-535-1797.
For the general public: This Blog/Website is made available by the law firm publisher, Raynes & Lawn, for educational purposes. It provides general information and a general understanding of the law but does not provide specific legal advice. By using this site, commenting on posts, or sending inquiries through the site or contact email, you confirm that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Website publisher. The Blog/Website should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.
For attorneys: This Blog/Website is informational in nature and is not a substitute for legal research or a consultation on specific matters pertaining to your clients. Due to the dynamic nature of legal doctrines, what might be accurate one day may be inaccurate the next. As such, the contents of this blog must not be relied upon as a basis for arguments to a court or for your advice to clients without, again, further research or a consultation with our professionals.
Let me know if you have any questions.